When it comes to Sustainable Catering Companies in Portland, Oregon
“Crave is the Sustainable Caterer”! Mark Lopez, President of Crave Catering and founding member of the Sustainable Catering Association, is proud to be a part of the sustainable catering movement.
At Crave Catering, we are really excited about our sustainable practices and are glad to see that so many of our clients, new and old, are too! We have made a promise to ourselves that we want to do 10% more than the year before.
Crave Catering’s Sustainability Promise
We are committed to our sustainability promise of “10% more than the year before”.
Here is what we have accomplished in the past:
- We use disposable utensils made from corn and potato, which are 100% compostable & biodegradable.
- Our plates are made with sugar cane fiber and are 100% biodegradable and 100% compost-able.
- We are members of the sustainable business network.
- We re-use all boxes that come in to our establishment from outside vendors (tomato boxes, tortilla boxes) to box up “drop off” catering orders.
- We stay away from seafood’s and meats that are on the “danger” list.
- We converted our newest delivery truck to Bio-Diesel.
- All of the spent oil from our fryer is converted into bio-diesel.
- Our second delivery vehicle is run on bio-ethanol.
- For downtown deliveries, when reasonable, we deliver lunch orders on foot.
- We frequent local farmers markets to support our farmers and their families.
- To cut back on paper use, confirm by email by the press of a button, rather than confirming by fax.
- We recycle at the restaurant (plastic, paper, glass & aluminum).
- For Our Fiesta Platters, we now offer a “sustainable pack”. Instead of sending plastic packaging, we bring it in restaurant pans and re-usable wear.
Here is what we have accomplished thus far:
- Converted to 100% Renewable Energy (Crave Office & Production Kitchen)
- Work Closely with Farmers to Promote Farm to Fork Menu Planning
- We are the Co-founders and Proud Members of the Sustainable Catering Association
- Partnered with EcoTrust LEED certified Building to Provide a Sustainable Events Space for Our Clients
- Partnered with The Eliot Center at First Unitarian Church LEED certified Building to Provide a Sustainable Events Space for Our Clients
- We are members of The Natural Step
- We participate in Portland Composts! Program
- We are members of the Sustainable Business Network
- We have received our RecycleWorks Award
- Offer Higher Education Classes for Crave Staff (CaterSource, Sustainability Workshops, etc.)
- Support Team Building & Extracurricular Staff Activities to Promote a Healthy and Happy Staff
- Please Welcome The Newest Addition to our Delivery Fleet, Our Hybrid Toyota Prius
- Weekly Managers Meetings Held to Promote People, Planet and Profit Discussions
- Our Business Recycles ALL Paper, Bottles & Cans Including Non-deposit Containers
- Plan Menus to Reduce Food Waste; Donate Leftover Food to Portland Homeless Shelters
- Work Closely With Seafood Venues that Promote Sustainable Fish Practices
- Use naturally Raised Meats and Corn Fed Poultry
- Frequent Local Farmers Markets to Support Our Farmers and Their Families.v
- Consistently Re-use or Donate Surplus of Used Catering Equipment, Office Supplies, Computers & Used Furniture
- Minimal Use of Toxic Cleaners in Crave’s Kitchen and Washroom Facilities
- We provide and Promote the use of Non-disposable Dishware For Our Staff To Use In House For Food & Beverage Consumption
- Use Bulk Containers to Serve Food; Use “Eco Fuel” for Chaffing Pans with Re-usable Containers
- Provide China / Melamine Plateware & Flatware For All Catered Meals
- Compostable Plates, Potato Ware Cutlery & 100% Recycled Napkins For Box Lunches.
- Office Solely Uses Harbor 100% Recycled Paper for Printingv
- All of the Spent Oil From Our Fryer is Converted Into Bio-diesel.
- Confirm your order via email by the press of a button, rather than confirming by fax.
- Invoices emailed rather than mailed
- We use both sides of the paper, not just one
- All paper is re-used for scratch paper and in house use and then Shredded